Send us your challenges
Our roadmap is shaped by real challenges from the health and social care system, and we want to hear from anyone working within it. If you face a challenge that you think could be answered with innovative thinking and digital technology, but you aren’t sure exactly how, we'd love to hear about it.
Our focus areas
To align with the five NHSX priorities we’re particularly interested in exploring challenges which:
- reduce the burden on staff
- help access clinical information
- improve health and care productivity
- provide tools to access services directly
- improve safety across health and care systems
What challenges are suitable?
We look for challenges that:
- align with one or more of our focus areas
- can’t be solved with an existing product or service
- are based on a real need
- affect the NHS on a large scale
- could be solved with a digital solution
Anyone working within the English health or social care system is eligible to submit.
What challenges aren’t suitable?
Our remit currently excludes:
- existing innovative products and services you would like to sell to the NHS
- projects focussed on Artificial Intelligence (see NHSX AI Skunkworks)
- big data (see NHSX Analytics Unit)
- medical devices
What we’ll ask
It should only take a few minutes to complete our submission form. We’ll ask:
- about you and your role
- questions about the challenge you’re submitting
- how involved you’d like to be if we pursue your challenge
Once you’ve submitted your challenge we’ll keep you updated. We aim to provide an initial response within 3 weeks.
What do we do with your submissions?
If you submit a challenge to us, we will:
- make sure we understand the challenge and the problem you think needs solving, and ask you for clarification if needed
- triage the submission to see if it meets our criteria - if it’s already been solved elsewhere; or if someone is already working on solving it
- if it’s a new problem within our remit, discuss it at our next advisory group meeting which occur every few months
- either add it to the Innovation Lab roadmap, or if we are unable to pursue it, we’ll publish it on our unsolved challenges page to allow other innovators interested in solving health and care problems to try and address the need
If we work on your challenge, we will involve you as much or as little as you wish.